This authentic Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh is a Lamb Curry prepared in the Kashmiri way, using spices such as fennel seeds and dried ginger. Spicy and bursting with delectable flavors, this Curry is ideal for mopping up with a delicious loaf of bread. How to create it is described below.
How to make this recipe
Mutton Rogan from the side Josh’s cup of soup.
One of my all-time favorite meals is curries made with mutton or lamb.My preference would be for the Mutton Curry over the Chicken Curry.
It’s not that I dislike Chicken; on the contrary, I love it quite a bit. However, there is something about Mutton that always tastes better to me.
Therefore, anytime I come across a rich and wonderful Mutton Curry, I feel compelled to replicate it at home.
That was my first reaction upon tasting this Curry at a friend’s place.
This dish, which she learned to make from a Kashmiri, was very delicious.
How wonderful it is when Ghee is floating on top of a thin-colored gravy made with Mutton.
I instantly downloaded her recipe and will be making this excellent Curry this weekend at home.
Since then, I can confidently state that it has become my husband’s favorite.
When I tell him we have Rogan Josh of Mutton for supper, he always smiles enormously. Haha!
After doing further study, I discovered that there are two distinct variations of this meal.
Kashmiri Muslims cook it with onion and garlic, while Pandits make it only with yogurt.
I cooked the Kashmiri Pandit’s version of this dish without onion and garlic, and it was excellent.
I’ve served this Curry to my guests at a variety of events and gala dinners.
This recipe will quickly win the hearts of everyone who like non-vegetarian dishes.
You may prepare it with lamb or Chicken, although historically it is made only with goat mutton.
Therefore, the next time you’re creating a Mutton Curry, bookmark the Rogan Josh recipe; I’m confident you’ll have a great time preparing and devouring this one.
Rogan Josh is a term that refers to a group of individuals.
It is a Persian dish made with dark crimson spicy lamb or Mutton. The Mughals introduced it into Kashmir.
The meal is topped with a thick coating of ghee and a thin red color gravy.
To prepare this Rogan Josh dish, I used slightly less ghee than the genuine version, but you may increase the quantity of ghee to your liking.
However, given the quantity of ghee I used, I can guarantee you that it tasted fantastic.
The long cooking process yields the most tender lamb; I’ve also used a pressure cooker to save time.
The distinctive red color of rogan josh is due to the heavy use of Kashmiri red chili powder and ratan jot, a deep red-colored root vegetable.
You may omit using ratan jot if it is not accessible.
Because it has a negligible effect on the flavor of the food, its usage may be optional.
Indeed, I skipped it this time around due to a lack of it.
Additionally, some individuals include dried cockscomb blossoms in their recipes.
Allow 15-20 minutes for 1 cup of dried flowers to soak in 1 cup of warm water.
Strain the water and add the amount of water specified in the recipe. It imparts an unmistakably strange flavor and hue to the food.
This meal is also prepared in mustard oil by sure folks. Ghee or mustard oil may be used.
Mutton Rogan Josh, a close-up view.
The strong taste of fennel seeds and dry ginger powder gleamed through the Kashmiri Rogan Josh, and the meat slid off the bone during consumption. Right, you’re drooling.
We drooled as well throughout the Curry’s preparation, and the allure of consuming it was unmatched.
Suggestions for Use
Because the sauce is so light and watery, it pairs well with plain steamed rice or a phulka.
However, it is as delicious served with Laccha Paratha, Naan, or Rumali Roti.
How should Rogan Josh be thickened?
Rogan Josh is typically cooked with a thin, watery gravy.
However, if you wish to thicken the gravy, mix two tablespoons of all-purpose flour into the yogurt before adding it to the pan.
It will help to thicken the gravy while retaining its flavor. I used one teaspoon maida to prevent the yogurt from separating and not to reduce the stew.
How to cook using Ratanjot?
If using Ratanjot, heat two tablespoons of ghee and, once heated, remove from the fire and add a tiny piece of ratan jot to the ghee.
Allow for a few minutes for the ratan jot color to soak in the ghee. Remove the ratan jot from the Curry and add the ghee.
How to prepare the spice blend, Rogan Josh?
To prepare the spice mix for Rogan Josh, combine 2 tablespoons of Kashmiri red chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon hing,1 teaspoon ginger powder, 3 teaspoon fennel powder, and 1 tablespoon coriander powder.
Use as needed. Store in a glass jar.
Muslim Recipes from Kashmir
To prepare Mutton Rogan Josh with onion and garlic in the manner of Kashmiri Muslims, place 1 cup sliced onion and 10-12 smashed garlic cloves in the pressure cooker after adding the dried red chilies.
Fry them till a golden brown color appears.
Then add the Mutton and proceed according to the instructions below.
Rogan Josh is an excellent curry that can be made with any meat instead of the Mutton.
Consider making this Curry using lamb, Chicken, or even beef.
Vegetarians may substitute paneer or cauliflower for goat cheese.
- Ghee 5 tbsp
- black cardamom seeds (crushed) 3-4
- cloves (crushed) 4-5
- black peppercorns (Crushed) 8-10
- Dry Red Chillies 4-5
- Cumin Seeds 1 teaspoon
- Hing ¼ teaspoon
- Mutton 800 gm
- Milk (Hot) 2 tablespoon
- Saffron 1 pinch
- Yogurt ½ cup
- Dry Ginger Powder 1 teaspoon
- Maida 1 teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder 1 and 1/2 tablespoon
- Fennel Powder 3 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder 1 tablespoon
- Saffron should be soaked in milk for many hours. In a pressure cooker, melt the ghee until it is hot.
- In a pressure cooker, mustard oil is heated.
- Add black cardamom, cloves, and whole peppercorns to the ghee after it is heated. 10 seconds in a frying pan.
- Oil infused with black cardamon, cloves, and peppercorns
- Combine the entire red chili peppers, cumin seeds, and asafoetida in a small bowl.
- In oil, sauté entire red chilis, cumin seeds, and hing.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the Mutton begins to color slightly.
- In a pressure cooker, add the Mutton.
- Add 1/2 cup water and simmer on low flame for 10-12 minutes. 1 teaspoon maida whisked into the yogurt Combine Kashmiri red chili powder, dry ginger powder, fennel powder, salt, coriander powder, and saffron-infused milk. Thoroughly combine.
- In a dish, mix dry spices with cut
- Combine curd and dry spices in a bowl.
- In a pan, add the yogurt. 1 minute cook time.
- Along with the Mutton, add curd to a pressure cooker.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes on medium-low heat, adding a cup of water until the Mutton is tender.
- pressure cooker water added
- If available, drizzle the ratan jot-infused oil. Adjust the salt as desired. Additionally, at this point, you may add garam masala. Serve immediately with steaming rice or naan bread.
For another recipe:authentic-mutton-korma-recipe
Leave a Reply